Thanks to runvivvyrun for the tag on these questions. Here’s my answers.
1. Would you rather run along a beach path or a mountain trail?
I have limited experience of running a beach path and being a Scottish lass I love the mountains! However, when running anywhere that is a trail, to me, everything on the ground is a snake until proven otherwise and there is someone behind every bush about to jump out until I go past! This is probably why I have managed to improve my pace – I’m running scared!
2. If you could choose the flavour of Gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be?
Never tasted Gatorade but I tend to go for berry flavoured juices where available.
3. If you’re given $100 gift card to a running store, what would you purchase?
Right now it would have to be trainers – I currently only own one pair and I’m out running nearly every day. With my goal of a marathon next year and more obstacle courses I’m going to need more!
4. Do you prefer to use a training plan or wake up and then decide how far or fast you want to run?
I roughly follow a plan – I’m currently training for my first official half marathon so wanted a guide to help. I have found though that for long runs I have to have ‘prepared my mind’. I need to tell myself ‘I’m doing 15km today’ or I’m not focused enough.
5. Would you rather start your run with the uphill and end with the downhill or start your run with the downhill and end with the uphill?
Oh definitely end with the downhill – my last long run ended with an incline and I found it really tough!
6. When you can’t run, what kind of cross training do you choose to do?
I currently do weight training about 3 times a week and I have plans to include cycling and swimming too. Well, once I learn to swim properly!
7. What is your preference – out and back, point to point or loop runs?
Out and back is my favourite, loop runs I can handle as long as it’s not excessive, point to point is a nightmare for getting back.
8. If you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner what would it be?
It would have to be some kind of timer that shows your progress – when you’re just starting out the thing that keeps you going is knowing you are improving. I use Strava app which shows me certain segments and gives me challenges that way, and I also have a Garmin Forerunner that gives me basics but I’m going to upgrade that.
9. Do you see any wild animals while out on your runs?
Other than the non existing snakes and bogey men behind the bushes it’s generally the usual squirrels, rabbits, deer and dogs. Sooooo many dogs ( some of which are wild in nature!).
10. Ever gotten lost whilst out on a run?
The last trail race I did I was very concerned I was going to go the wrong way! It was a small event of about 135 so there were gaps and no crowding other than the start. I didn’t and I made it to the end but it was a concern – especially on a trail!
11. If you could have one meal waiting for you when you get home from a run for the next 30 days what would it be?
That’s a very strange question, I don’t know what I’m having tonight never mind the next 30 days. Recently I’ve been thinking about my protein shake during the last stretch of a run or ‘justifying’ a red bull- but that’s just because I like the taste of them. Food wise, I really don’t know, I’m not a big food fan and don’t like big meals. Maybe some mango and ice cream.
12. Capris or shorts – what do you run in the most?
Oh honey the world is not ready to see my legs in shorts! Took me a while to wear capris!
13. At what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start to feel like it is warming up and ready to go?
It is always between 2 and 3km.
14. What do you do with your key when you run?
It’s in the back pocket of my running tights. I hold my phone – always have. I don’t like the arm holders.
15. If you could re-live any race that you have done in the past, what one would it be?
That’s quite a tough one, would probably be the Edinburgh 10k though – my first official race. I would soak up the atmosphere more and hopefully not be so nervous!
16. What type of run is your least favourite?
Treadmill – there’s a reason it’s called a dreadmill.
17. When you go for a run, do you leave from the front door or drive somewhere?
I generally go from the door but if I need to drop the kids at my parents I start from their house.
18. When running in daylight are sunglasses a must or a nuisance?
I live in Scotland, the sun is rarely an issue!
19. When you get tired what keeps you from quitting?
Focus, it’s always focus. If I’ve set myself a goal I go for it. If I need a 30sec walk time I will have it but I have to do something to make myself earn it – ie get to the corner, get to the next tree/lamppost, get to a certain km.
Hope you enjoyed learning more about me!